How do I attach Custom Shapes?
BigPicture has the ability to Attach Shapes to your existing topics. There are two commands under the "Attach Shape" category. The first is the Attach Shapes > Boundary command which will typically be attached to a group of related topics. The second is the Attach Shapes > Custom command that would be more applicable with a single topic. This is simply a way that you can add Excel shapes to the selected topic(s). These commands are incredibly flexible and will help you add some additional pizazz to your maps.
By utilizing the Custom command a default light yellow callout shape will be attached to the selected topic(s) and will move with the topic(s).
Select the topic and choose the Attach Shapes > Custom Command
- The default light yellow callout shape will appear above top-most topic selected.
- You can customize your shape by utilizing Excel's standard capabilities of changing the color, shape effects, size, font, text, etc.
- If you decide to move the topic(s) that the custom shape is attached to, the shape will move also.
- Custom shapes can overlap.
- Multiple custom shapes can be added to the same topic, or group of topics. All of which can be moved and re-sized. (NOTE: To access any custom shapes that may be hidden behind another one, simply right click and utilize the Send to Back and Bring to Front commands from the pop-up menu.)
- If you collapse (hide) any of the topics that the shape is attached to, the shape will collapse (hide) with it.
- A custom shape can be to a single topic or multiple topics.
NOTE: To remove a custom shape, just click on the shape and hit your delete key on your keyboard.
Duplicate an existing shape
If you would like to use the same style custom shape (or any other existing "non-BigPicture" Excel shape) that already exists:
- Select the topic(s) that you would like to add that custom shape to FIRST
- Choose the Attach Shapes > Custom > Copy Existing command.
- At this point a dialog will appear asking you to select the shape that you would like to copy. Click on the existing shape that you would like to duplicate.
- Click OK.